Saturday, September 19, 2015

Scratch Built Grot Tank

Hey everyone! After a long hiatus, I'm back, better than ever and bringing you my own scratch build for a grot tank. I got to building the ones I'd bought so it only seemed natural to add a fifth one. In fact, I had so much fun with it that I've got some ideas on for more. 

More pictures after the jump






It was pretty straightforward to build, just drew a silhouette of the tank on thick plasticard, scored over it and then bent along the lines it to snap it out (basic plasticard-fu) then cut out a long plate with the width and started cutting sections to glue the volume together. I did glue a plastic I-beam midway for support. The bulk of the work really consisted in detailing the thing. I used three different rivet making techniques:
  • Plastic rod
  • Mechanical pencil's tip tube thing over putty
  • Scrap styrene melted into a gel in a container with cement, then toothpick dabbing
Oh yeah, the hinge on the top hatch really works and can go back all the way, you can remove the grot too. 


Finally, here's a size comparison, it's just about the right size.



See you at the next post!

No comments:

Post a Comment